Douglas Clark, Director of Product Management, has recently participated in a discussion with Oracle ACE’s regarding the key differentiators of Oracle Toplink versus other ORM Mappings.
This is a very interesting discussion for key decision makers who are thinking about ORM Solutions for their existing or new JEE Applications.
The key differentiators according to Doug Clark:
- Performance and scalability: Our out of the box caching architecture is allows us to minimize object creation and share instances. The caching offers out of the box support for single node and clustered deployments. We have been involved in many internal and external benchmarking efforts that maintain our confidence that we have the best performing and scaling ORM solution available.
- Support for leading relation databases: We continue to support all leading relational databases with extensions specific to each. We are also the best ORM solution for the Oracle database. We continue to enhance this support in 11gR1 and EclipseLink.
- A comprehensive persistence solution: While we offer industry leading object-relational support we have also leveraged our core mapping functionality to deliver object-XML (JAXB), Service Data Object (SDO), as well as non-relational (EIS via JCA) and Database Web Services. Depending on your requirements you can use one or more of the persistence services based on the same core persistence engine.
- Donated to Open Source Community: Full functionality of Oracle TopLink now available in open source EclipseLink project. OracleAS/SOA customers will continue to leverage the functionality of TopLink now developed in open source. Those looking for an open source solution can now choose to use EclipseLink and gain the benefits of our long commercial usage and our ongoing development efforts.
- JPA Support: As the JPA 1.0 specification co-leads Oracle and the TopLink/EclipseLink team has been focussed on delivering a JPA compliant solution with supporting integration with JDeveloper, ADF, Spring, and the Elcipse IDE (Dali project). We have delivered the JPA 1.0 reference implementation and with EclipseLink will now deliver the JPA 2.0 reference implementation. We are focussed on standards based development while still offering many advanced capabilities as well.While Hibernate may have the current lead in developer mind-share we are focussed on continuing to deliver our world-class functionality to the entire Java community.