ApEx Xliff ORA-31011: XML parsing failed

Recently I came across this error while trying to publish a translated application. The application needed to be translated in the polish language, this was the first time that I came across a language with special signs in it.

I quickly found out that I cannot just save the xliff file on my windows machine, I need to choose the correct type of file otherwise the special characters will be lost. So the translated language is polish and my target database has the WE8MSWIN1252 character set.

I saved the xliff file with type Unicode file using notepad. When I tried publishing the next error appeared:

ORA-31011: XML parsing failed. ORA-19202: Error occurred in XML processing ( LPX-00216: Invalid character 0 (0x0). Error at line 1 ).

Not really knowing what the problem could be I tried saving it as UTF8 type file with notepad. If I tried to publish the new file I got a different error:

ORA-31011: XML parsing failed. ORA-19202: Error occurred in XML processing( LPX-00210: ‘<' expected instead of '¿'. Error at line 1 ).

After some research I found out that notepad(Microsoft) adds a BOM (Byte Order Mark), these are 3 bytes at the start of the document that indicate the character encoding of the document. So I tried a non-Microsoft tool like ‘UltraEdit’ and saved my document with type UTF-8 – NO BOM. Now I could perfectly upload and publish my application.

About these ads

3 thoughts on “ApEx Xliff ORA-31011: XML parsing failed

  1. a BOM is optional for utf-8. while it’s actually kind of useless for utf-8 (it only has the one order) i think the W3C says xml parsers should be able to handle it if it exits. the fact that encoding isn’t “fixed” makes me like old school java resource bundles over xliff.

  2. Below is my XML syntax:

    –CRP6803Zhai, Yanmin (CN)ascSHGyanmin.zhai@ppg.com
    –CRP6849Zhao, Gary (CN) [C]ascSHBgary.zhao@ppg.com

    but getting below error:
    ERROR: Program Aborted ORA-31011: XML parsing failed
    ORA-19202: Error occurred in XML processing
    LPX-00210: expected ‘=’ instead of ‘>’
    Error at line 1

    Please advice the above issue.

    Thanks.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s